How to train an adult Pomsky? We all know that the designer Pomskys will not grow much in size even though they will become adults. They get their size from their Pomeranian fathers, and the other features such as the beautiful blue eyes come from their Siberian Husky mother. If you think about training a Pomsky, you should start while it is young. It can happen that you got a Pomsky after it became an adult. In that case, you will need special help to train them. Here is how you can do it.
How to train your Pomsky? You should expect your Pomsky to have car problems or behavioral changes when it is about to ride it. It is because of car sickness, fright of riding inside a vehicle and their restless territorial behavior. If the puppy is scared of riding the car or gets sick afterwards, you can explain it that there is nothing fearful or dangerous about it. It can happen that it had a bad experience riding a car before. Therefore, you should introduce your car to the Pomsky is a pleasant manner and makes sure it has a nice experience.
Related articles about How to train your Pomsky
Begin by sitting in it with your Pomsky. Do not leave the car or start the engine. It should be a car where you do not start anything but just sit there. You can read a book while you both are sitting there. Give your canine friend some time to understand that there is nothing wrong with the car. It will get rid of its fright slowly. You will know that it is getting accustomed to the inside of the car as soon as you see that it is relaxing. It can vary from Pomsky to Pomsky. For example, a puppy can start relaxing quickly after it notices that there is nothing wrong about the vehicle. Another Pomsky can get scared because of past experience and take a long time to start liking the inside of the car.
If your puppy is a brave one or a calm one, you should have less trouble. It will get used to sitting inside the car without being scared or sick. After that start the engine and still sit in the car without driving. It can happen that the running engine is a new thing that can scare away your four-legged buddy. If you have a scared puppy or Pomsky, make the training sessions small. Staying inside a shutdown car can make it sick. The process of training should be slow and steady when it is about a Pomsky with anxiety. After the nervousness completely fades away, start the engine and do not go anywhere. You should be ready for unexpected behavior from it because it was already scared in the shutdown car.
The next step after you begin the engine and it gets familiar is to drive around small distances. If your Pomsky has a favorite place such as the park, beach or a relative’s house. Take it there. The experience should be fun and if the training is going well do not forget the rewards. If you have a playful and active puppy who is not a food lover, you can reward it with a game of fetch at the park and a lot of praise. If you have someone who loves food as rewards, provide them with treats. Never try to rush the process or get angry. You will only end up making it more scared and full of fright. The car training will become more difficult. You have to teach your Pomsky to listen to you. That means before you let it enter the car, you should complete the obedience training. There are many people complaining that their Pomskys do not listen to them. It is a risk to take them inside the car.
What are pros and cons of using a computer log for the Pomsky? We know that there are several methods you can use to track the Pomsky’s training progress. You can choose the simple pen and paper method. You can also opt for the printed paper log but that does not contain much details. No matter what you choose, you can see that the puppy is improving its skills and learning abilities. The third method that is becoming popular with the technology advancement is the computer log.
Related articles about pros and cons of using a computer log for the Pomsky
Smartphone, tabs and iPads are now in everyone’s hands. If you look at a crowd somewhere such as the waiting room at the doctor’s chamber or inside a train, you will notice all the people have their eyes on the phones. They use it to communicate with others and share photos, messages and videos. There are a lot of benefits in this method and some drawbacks follow as well.
• Make modifications as much as you want. There is no limit no how many times you want to cut off or edit a line, word or a phrase. If you are using a notebook, you will be unable to make too much alterations. It will look dirty and messy with all the corrections you make. If you want, you cannot add a new sentence that you forgot to write without making look like a mistake.
• You can put a lot of details. Even though the printed form would look clean as a log and help scan important information, you cannot write too much. For example, let us discuss its activity on a particular day. You rate it out of five on distraction level, stamina, aggression and fear. It if did not get distracted on that day, not even by a squirrel, you rate it 1. If it had a lot of stamina and energy that day, circle the five with a pen. If it was somewhat aggressive, circle 3 or 4. If you found it to be scared of something that day, make a round around the 4 or 5 depending on the level of its fright. As you can see, there is not much explanation or any personal views or opinions. After few months or a year, when you look back, you will not remember what happened. If you write on a computer log with details, when you look back at it, you will feel like an achiever. “I trained my Pomsky to not get distracted by squirrels and today it saw one and did not get interrupted, that was amazing” This line sounds so much satisfying than a circle around the 1.
• You can share it with others easily along with a video or several photos. A lot of people will get to know about the puppy and you can share your experience. In this way, others will benefit from your mistakes and teachings.
• It is difficult to have a phone with a full battery. The smartphones turn off automatically and you will be unable to log anything that day. You always have to keep a backup, such a copy on another device so that you do not lose the logs.
Why deterrent spray is the perfect training tool? You can make deterrent taste sprays at home or buy them online or from pet stores. They are an effective training tool and keeps your Pomsky from chewing on different materials around the house. They can chew on furniture, shoes and cables. They are the harmless and will help you while you are training to not chew. Chewing is a common issue in Pomskies and you cannot think that they will not ruin anything just because they are small. They can cause more damage than a Labrador Retriever. If the one you bought from store does not stop the puppy from chewing, you can make one at home. Here are some reasons why they make an excellent training tool.
Related articles about deterrent spray
The price is not much compared to the service it provides. It costs below $20. Imagine it can cause ruins of over hundred dollars. Therefore, you can manage to spend several dollars on the useful spray. It allows you protect your valuable items and expensive furniture. If you have brought new cables for your smartphone costing around hundred dollars. They will mistake it by thinking it is a chew toy. Even though they are intelligent Pomsky breeds, you cannot blame it for chewing on your things. If you still have problem with the price, you can always make one yourself with vinegar! The one you make at home does not require any special or pricy ingredient.
It works on every kind of materials you spray on and does not leave a residue. You can spray on the leather sofas, fabric clothing, wood furniture, Christmas light and so on. Your things will stay in their place. There will be no destruction and nobody will ruin your items. The Pomeranian Husky can get the feeling it is charge of the house. The behavior of being the leader can come from the Siberian Husky because they are sled Pomskys. They are fast and strong Pomsky breeds. It can also be aggressive when you are trying to train it to not chew. That is why the spray bottle is going to be your solution. Since they are intelligent, every time it will see the bottle it wills top chewing so you do not even have to worry about it finishing off. It works on Pomskies of all age. If you just brought it home and when you come home and find chew marks, it is time to start spraying. If the Pomsky is teething, it is the right time to use it. If you apply it, the Pomsky will stay away from the things it loves to chew. It also works for adult Pomskys.
Easy to use
It is a spray bottle that comes with no challenge or difficulties. If you are making it at home, buy a new bottle. You cannot use an old one you have lying at your home because it can contain toxic chemicals. Do not use bottles that had something else in it no matter how many times you rinse or clean it with soap and water. You cannot risk it so it is a must that you buy new spray bottles for DIY deterrent spray.
How to diy deterrent spray for your Pomsky? You can have a Pomsky that ruins your items and furniture and you are unable to find a way to stop it. You can buy a deterrent spray from the pet store but they will finish up quickly. You will have to purchase over and over again and that can be expensive. The solution is to make one at home. Before you use them, you can try other methods and see if the bad habit stops. It is a part of the house training.
Related articles about deterrent spray
The first part of the training is to include appropriate chewing. There are toys that should attract your Pomsky to chew on it. It should be the perfect size and color. Just be sure that it does not swallow it. Never give it something that is related to things around the house it can chew. You can give an old bag to chew on but it will not comprehend the difference between that one and the new bad you are currently using. The second part of the training is to take away the thing directly away from its mouth and provide it with the chew toy. If it listens to you like an obedient Pomsky and does not cause any disturbance, you should reward it with a treat or praise. In that way, it will learn what to chew and what not to.
If all the training fails, simply make a deterrent at home. Here is what you will need:
· Spray bottle (empty and clean)
· White vinegar
· Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
Step 1: As you can see above, the first thing is the spray bottle. You have to purchase an empty bottle because if use one you have lying at home it can have toxic chemicals that are leftovers. Buy one with the correct comfortable grip that fits your hand and makes it easy to use. Buy one that can spray at any angle and has a wide mouth so it is easy to fill it up. You cannot risk it by using a bottle that once had something in it.
Step 2: Gather the ingredients. Add 8 ounces of white vinegar and 15 ounces of apple cider vinegar into the bottle. If you do not have apple cider vinegar you have to use the same amount of lemon juice. That is the core ingredient that acts as the repellent. The lemon juice and apple cider vinegar has the ability to create a pungent and sour taste.
Step 3: Start spraying on objects it chews. The taste will fade away after several days so you have to continue with the application. If you are not regular about spraying, the four-legged friend of yours will ruin your valuable things. Including the deterrent spray in the training is a good idea.
• Make sure that your puppy is far away when you are spraying around everywhere. It is dangerous for its eyes even though it is homemade and non-toxic
• Do not apply on its body such as the paws if it chews on them. If it is chewing on its body parts, that means there is a problem and you should consult a vet instead of operating yourself
• The spray is not going to be hundred percent effective for some Pomskies so you have to continue training without it.
Should you train the Pomsky with a clicker? There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages of Clicker Training. The process to train a Pomsky or any breed of Pomsky that focuses on their interactive mindset that to make them perform positive actions following a reward is known as Clicker Training. Necessary conduct is typically marked by means of a “clicker,” an automatic tool that creates a small, dissimilar “click” noise to let the Pomsky know that what they are doing is correct. It is an easy form of communicating with your pet, and let it know about the positive fortification, and is a real, harmless, and humane way to teach any pet animal any conduct that it is substantially and psychologically able to do.
Related articles about Should you train the Pomsky with a clicker
Let us examine the benefits and drawbacks of Clicker Training. Even though it is the best pet training method accessible, still there are a few restraints to it, pretty much as with anything. There are many explanations worldwide on the most proficient method to utilize a clicker; many Pomsky trainers use it while others find it deceptive. You should start by understanding that many individuals have a lot of misconceptions about this process. Even some Pomsky trainers believe the more the click, the better. It is not true because it slows down the learning process. The Pomsky will change its behavior and demonstrate positive actions if you work hard instead of just clicking. They are intelligent so you should not have much trouble if you use the right methods.
Start by knowing the reason to why you are clicking. The difficulty of the task is proportional to chances of making a mistake. You should learn how to use the device so that you are applying a positive reinforcement on the Pomsky. Pet owners even have their plan of altering the attitude of their Pomsky. The answer is not the tool. The puppies will work for the reward. Therefore, every time you use it, a reward should follow. The Pomsky is sensitive to the surroundings therefore you will have to arrange the environment to minimize distractions during learning.
Here are the pros of using a clicker
• You can train any Pomsky with the tool despite their age, size, breed and behavior. They all love rewards and it makes them want to work more to earn them.
• You can motivate it to continue a positive task and the tool allows you to make it possible for it to repeat those behaviors.
• You can make the training sessions easy and unchallenging because it makes the learning and teaching simple.
• You can teach any animal with it because it is an effective method. They learn in a short time than any other process
• It can create a connection between you and the Pomsky and make you close to each other.
Here are the cons of using the tool
• The main part of the training is the reward not the noise or the device. If you are not providing the right kind of prize, the training method will not work. If your Pomsky likes treats and you are giving it toys, that will not work. A big problem arises when the puppy does not like treats nor toys.
• You have to learn a lot on how to use it to train puppies and Pomskys. You cannot just buy it and start using it.
How to training your Pomskys for the 4th of July? There are a lot of Pomskys that run away from their homes because of fright. Halloweens never scare a puppy but the 4th of July does. It makes them get scared thinking that it is something dangerous. It makes them escape and run here and there. They get full of stress and anxiety. If you carry out the training process, they will not get scared of this or other loud noises. The problem lies because the loud noises are out of the Pomskies’ understanding.
Related articles about How to training your Pomskys
Here are some things you should do to protect it
• Make sure that it was not bored or idle at the beginning of the day, that means you should take it out for a walk in the morning. If you are someone who takes it out to walks at night, for that day you should change the routine and wake up early for the exercise. You can also try indoor exercise such as playing fetch.
• July is during the summer and the temperature is going to be too high. If it is unbearably hot, turn on your air condition for the puppy. It will keep it calm and cool. If you are going out, make sure there is someone else to take care of it. The person should be someone your Pomskies loves and trust.
• You should clean up and make sure the bathtub is dry. In case, it needs a place to hide, it can use that. If there is no place to take shelter, it will end up hurting itself. Do not lock it in the crate during the fireworks.
• If you are going out, make sure it has enough toys to play with and does not get bored. You should keep its favorite toys close to it. Since you are going out, put on a collar with the name and ID tags so that in case it runs away, someone can return it to you.
• Close all the curtains and windows. If it is sleepy, let is sleep inside the crate and put on a light cloth over it and cover the whole thing. If you are using a blanket or something heavy, the puppy will start to feel hot and start barking. If they are not seeing much, they will not get scared. IF the windows are closed, the noise will be less.
You should that there are things that your Pomsky can hear and see that you cannot. If you are getting annoyed or think the puppy is stupid than you are wrong. You cannot assume that your Pomsky will act like a human. The Pomskies are the pet owners’ responsibility. They are courageous and brave but loud noises can be something new or surprising. That is why you should train it beforehand to avoid trouble. The training includes- exercising early that day, keeping it calm and putting it to sleep. Even if it stays up, you should make it listen to you. Explain it that there is nothing to be scared about.
How to play indoor games with your Pomskys? It is important for the Pomsky to play because it has a lot of excess energy. You should play with because for many reasons: you both can get closer, it will know that you love it and it will be a happy pup. You can let is play alone with its toys while you are busy but that does not mean that you will not clear your schedule for your canine friend. It is good for its health and behavior. Depression is getting common nowadays in Pomskys and one way to prevent is by playing with it. If you have trouble going out or you are too busy to take it out after the regular daily walks, you can always play indoors. Here are some games to play with the small buddy.
Related articles about play games with your Pomskys
Hide and seek
They will love to play hide and seek and after it finds you praise it or provide treats. Hide and seek develops their brain because they will use smell to find you. The Siberian Husky and Pomeranian both loves to play this game. You have to call out its name if it does not find you. You do not have to worry because they will find you quick because they do not like it being without their owner. Hide somewhere that is easy to find. If it does not come to find you, you should train it properly.
There are no doubts about the fact that they love bubbles. Popping them is good for their health because they will chase and jump. If they are not interested, train them to run after the bubbles. If you do not like blowing bubbles, you can purchase the bubble blowers and machines that is designed particularly for Pomskys’ playtime. The toy manufacturing companies know that Pomskys of every shape, size, breed and age loves to play with bubbles. That is why they came up with bubble shooters.
You cannot put up big things for your small friend. Start with soft towels that you roll up and keep on the floor. Few steps away, keep another one the same way. Train it to jump over the obstacles. After it masters that, place a blanket at the destination. The ending of the game should be when it lies on the blanket. The simple way to teach this game is by rewarding it when it completes everything properly.
Tug of war
Pomskies consider them to be strong, energetic and muscular. Therefore, play tug of war and let it win. It will make them confident and happy. Use an old t-shirt to play.
You should take the treats on one hand and show it that you are taking them. Go to another room and hide them in places that are easy to find. Do not place it on high surfaces such as the top of your closet. To train it, start by saying the word “search” and show it where you kept it. Later on, it will understand how to play. Do not forget to praise it when it returns with all the treats.